Well, that sure was an... interesting... year! I can't complain that 2018 didn't have its fair share of big events, because it sure did. So big, in fact, that I'm actually writing these 'end of year' blog posts in the middle of January 2019 and pre-dating them back to December.
Of course, the biggest event was the arrival of our second child, Zoe, but others were still notable, including ending an old job and landing a new one.
Blogging was very sparse this year for a number of reasons, but the underlying one was lack of time. Almost every post was a highlight, but to keep with tradition, I'll still list the highlights below.
- 5 Years as a Technical Writer: A big achievement after starting a new career. It's flown by, a but is honestly now a bit sad that I've moved on from that employer.
- Google Is Shutting Down Their URL Shortener, so I Created a Custom One: Another useful Google service bites the dust, but a great opportunity for a bit of geekery.
- Family +1: The biggest event of the year! Welcome to the world, Zoe!
- New Mobile: HTC U11+: 6 months later, I'm still pretty happy with this phone so far.
- Online Backups, Part 2: Duplicati + B2 = Win: Going next-level in managing my own backups. I'd still prefer something like what Crashplan was, but this new system is still very decent.
- New NAS, Just In Time: Since the old one lasted almost 7 years, getting a new one is pretty special.
- Tweets for 2018: The list of tweets is probably a more accurate account of the year than this blog post.
You may notice that for the first time since 2007, there was no 'Best and Worst' post this year. I can't say that I've watched/played/read enough to be able to make a reasonable attempt at compiling one. New streak starting next year! 😉